Town Of Payson
|2 weeks ago 2019-7-32019-8-2|
The fundamental reason this classification exists is to protect life and property through firefighting and EMS activities often performed under conditions which require strenuous physical exertion. Major elements of a Firefighter's work are the participation in code enforcement activities performed by fire companies, supervised drills, and training in firefighting and EMS skills. Time is spent in special and routine maintenance of equipment and apparatus and routine care of buildings and grounds, as well as public education activities. Work at the fire station and scenes of fires, is normally performed under close supervision in accordance with well defined procedures, and is inspected in process and upon completion by a Fire Captain. Occasionally, employees in this class may be required to relieve an officer of higher rank and when so assigned, are responsible for the management of all company programs and the supervision of assigned fire companies and equipment at the scene of the fire until relieved of command by an officer of higher rank. Firefighters may be assigned to work on special assignments which call for special abilities and knowledge attained through experience and training.
Protects life and property by performing fire fighting, emergency aid, hazardous materials, and fire prevention duties. Maintains fire equipment apparatus, and facilities. Generally assigned to work twenty-four (24) hour shifts, although may be detailed to other work periods. This is the first of seven classifications.
May assist to coordinate, instruct or supervise the work of other reserve firefighters, recruits or other part-time department personnel, as assigned. May be responsible for coordinating other departmental activities as assigned.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Performs firefighting activities, including driving fire apparatus, operating pumps and related equipment, laying hose and performing fire combat, containment and extinguishment tasks;
· Performs emergency aid activities including administering first aid and providing other assistance as required;
· Participates in fire drills, attends classes in firefighting, emergency medical, hazardous materials, and related subjects;
· Receives and relays fire calls and alarms. Operates radio and other communication equipment;
· Participates in the inspection of buildings, hydrants, and other structures in fire prevention programs;
· Maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities. Performs minor repairs to departmental equipment;
· Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of fire facilities and equipment;cleans and washes walls and floors;cares for grounds around station;makes minor repairs;washes, hangs and dries hose;washes, cleans and polishes, maintains and tests apparatus and equipment;
· Assists in developing plans for special assignments such as emergency preparedness, hazardous communications, training programs, firefighting, hazardous materials and emergency aid activities;
· Presents programs to the community on safety, medical, and fire prevention topics;
· Performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water, and removing debris;
· Flushes hydrants;
· Inspects buildings and premises for compliance with fire laws, checks on complaints and aids in the investigation of arson cases;
· Inspects commercial and noncommercial buildings;
· Signs citations and gives testimony in court in connection with fire code enforcement activities;
· Attends public gatherings to ensure observance of fire safety requirements;
· Participates in station radio tests;
· Conducts tours of station houses;
· Maintains ADHS certification as an EMT, IEMT, or CEP. Maintains current course completion cards on BCLS and/or ACLS respective of the ADHS certification level;
· Demonstrates continuous effort to improve operations, decrease turnaround times, streamline work processes, and work cooperatively and jointly to provide quality seamless customer service.
· Performs other duties, which may be assigned from time to time.
· Must be 18 years or older at time of employment.
· No felony convictions or disqualifying criminal histories within the past seven (7) years.
· Must be a U.S. citizen.
Education and Experience:
· High school diploma or G.E.D. certificate.
· Must possess, or be able to obtain by the time of hire, a valid Arizona driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record.
· Current ADHS EMT/IEMT/CEP certificate.
· Firefighter II certification.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Knowledge of driver safety.
· Knowledge of emergency medical procedures.
· Knowledge of fire codes.
· Knowledge of customer service practices.
· Knowledge of the geography and street system of Payson.
· Knowledge of the inspection techniques and methods use by the Fire Department.
· Ability to learn the operation of fire suppression and other emergency equipment.
· Ability to learn to apply standard firefighting, emergency aid, hazardous materials, and fire prevention techniques.
· Ability to perform strenuous or peak physical effort during emergency, training or station maintenance activities for prolonged periods of time under conditions of extreme heights, intense heat , cold or smoke.
· Ability to act effectively in emergency and stressful situations.
· Ability to follow verbal and written instructions.
· Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
· Ability to establish effective working relationships with employees, other agencies and the general public.
· Ability to communicate orally in English with customers, clients, or the public in face-to-face one-to-one settings, in group settings or by using the phone.
· Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions with exposure to the outdoor elements.
· Some positions may require the use of personal of Town vehicles on Town business. Individuals must be physically capable of operating the vehicles safely, possess a valid driver’s license, and have an acceptable driving record. Use of a personal vehicle for Town business will be prohibited if the employee is not authorized town vehicle or if the employee does not have personal insurance coverage.
|Your application has been successfully submitted.|